Upcoming Event: Thursday, May 14th at 2:00 PM CST
Join our FREE online dental assisting info session on Thursday, May 14th at 2:00 PM CST. We will be visiting with Chanel Malone, Assistant Professor/Program Coordinator Allied Dental Education at the ND State College of Science.
Dental assistant workforce initiative increased applications to NDSCS dental assisting program by 55% from 2018 - 2019!
We know dental assistants are vital to a dental practice. They may take patient vitals, clean prosthesis, take impressions, apply medications, take patient history, and do impressions. To be able to take radiographs, dental assistants need to become qualified. To practice even more expanded functions dental assistants need to become registered.
Currently, there is a significant shortage of dental assistants in North Dakota. In 2017, 70% of North Dakota dentists tried to hire a dental assistant and 40% were unsuccessful.
The North Dakota Dental Foundation is here to help. In partnership with the North Dakota Dental Association and the North Dakota State College of Science we created a program Dental Assistant Workforce Initiative.
Policy: Dental Assistant Grant Reimbursement
Approved by: NDDF Board of Directors
Approved on: 02/05/2020
Reviewed on: 02/21/2020
The full policy may be viewed below or downloaded here:
NDDF POLICIES & PROCEDURES - Dental Assistant Grant Reimbursement (Same as below):
- Reimbursement to be granted, per individual, for Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) exams (three-part DANB CDA exams), not be reimbursed for graduates of CODA-accredited DA programs; only Dental Assistants that are challenging DANB exams following or concurrently with clinical dental office practice hours will be eligible, reimbursement not to exceed $450*. The applicant must have proof of a North Dakota Qualified Dental Assistant (QDA) or Registered Dental Assistant (RDA) registration certificate. Prior to reimbursement, receipts need to be provided.
- Reimbursement to be granted, per individual, for DANB/DALE Foundation review courses and/or practice tests will be granted, not to exceed $400* The applicant must have proof of completing the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) exams of the study materials purchased. Prior to reimbursement, receipts need to be provided.
- Any current practicing dental professional in North Dakota or a dental professional affiliated with an accredited teaching program is eligible to receive reimbursement for presentations made at high schools or job fairs. The target audience would be persons interested in dental assisting as a career and not currently working in dentistry. The presenter must distribute the Dental Assistant workforce documents at the event and be knowledgeable about the grant and goals. Reimbursement will be up to $50 for any event up to a half-day in length and $100 for an all-day event or job fair. Round trip mileage at the current IRS rate will also be covered. A narrative that includes the size of the audience, the presentation made, and contact info for that school or sponsoring organization must be provided. All events submitted for reimbursement should be pre-approved to be sure it qualifies. These funds are only available up to the amount allowed under the grant.
- Any current practicing dental professional in North Dakota or dental professional affiliated with an accredited teaching program is eligible to receive reimbursement for presenting a face-to-face clinical review course in preparation for DANB certification. The amount of reimbursement will be determined by the Dental Assistant Workforce Committee on a case-by-case basis pending a narrative description of the course by the presenter and size of the audience.
* In special circumstances, the Dental Assistant Workforce Committee retains the discretion to award amounts in excess of the $400 or $450 limitation. In the event grant applications are submitted both by an individual and a dental office in either category of which the total exceeds the $400 or $450 limitation, individuals will be reimbursed their entire request and dental offices will be reimbursed the remainder of the funds under their request up to the $400 or $450 limitation.
Dental assistant workforce initiative takes three actions:
- Connect dental assistants & gatekeepers with high school students
- Recruit new dental assistants
- Pay for chair-side trained dental assistants to become DANB certified
REIMBURSEMENT APPLICATION FORMS
Submission of either of the forms above will also require you to submit a Form W9.